• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Going to take the CPC Exam

Krystal

hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a little advice. I am due to take the CPC Exam on Sat August 10th and I'm scared as heck. This is my first time taking the test and I just need a little advice as far as what I should really focus on. I have highlighted all my books, purchased and taken the practice exams and studied my butt off. Is there anyone who has taken this test and passed it on their first time around?

Thanks,

Dymondk4u

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Focus on the guidelines. Do the easy questions first, then the medium questions, and save the hard questions for last. I passed on my second time around, but I focused on the guidelines and used my ICD-9 book more than the CPT and HCPCS. Here is a link on reading the operative report: http://www.justcoding.com/print/279024/learn-how-to-read-an-op-report?goback=%2Egmp_5097942. This is an excellent report and I personally know the lady who presented it. She gave a presentation on reading an operative report at our AAPC chapter meeting in February 2011 and I never forgot it.

Krystal

Carolyn,

Thank you! I needed that. My biggest worry are the surgery/OP reports. There is a lot to read within one report and its hard for me to pick out what is needed and whats not needed. As far as Guidelines are concerned...should I review the CPT book more or the ICD-9 book? I have been highlighting the heck out of both books...As far as my practice tests are concerned: I do start from the back....I think that will be my method of starting the exam as well. Thank you so much again for the op-report...I NEEDED THAT!

Krystal

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Knowing the Guidelines are important because they are testing you on whether you can apply them. If you've done the studying, are able to get 85% on the practice exams while keeping within the time constraints, then it is a matter of keeping your wits about you during the exam. In order to do that I made sure I was well rested, had prepared everything I needed to take the night before including some energy bars and water, and allowed plenty of time to drive to the exam location so I would not arrive frazzled. Allow yourself to be confident and think positive thoughts -- it can only help.

Krystal

Hey Ruth, I have highlighted the guidelines at the beginning of my cpt and icd-9 book. Yes I will be sure to eat a light breakfast before I get there. Thank you so much for the advice. -Krystal-

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Carolyn,

Thank you! I needed that. My biggest worry are the surgery/OP reports. There is a lot to read within one report and its hard for me to pick out what is needed and whats not needed. As far as Guidelines are concerned...should I review the CPT book more or the ICD-9 book? I have been highlighting the heck out of both books...As far as my practice tests are concerned: I do start from the back....I think that will be my method of starting the exam as well. Thank you so much again for the op-report...I NEEDED THAT!

Krystal
You are so welcome! Glad I could help!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I like knocking out the Anatomy and Terminology first as it goes so fast. You know it or you don't. In the past this was located at the end of the exam. It is not uncommon for someone to do the exam backwards.

Krystal

Hi Alicia,

Would you happen to know how many questions the anatomy and terminology there are? I am hearing there are 9 questions from each section? is that true? and yes I think im going to start backwards and go back to front...

-Krystal-

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Krystal, I believe there are 10 terminology questions and 8 anatomy questions. There are never more then 10 in a section/category. That is the way it was in the past. I have not seen the 2013 exam though. There is a breakdown of how many questions there are in each section on the AAPC website. I will go look today and see if I can find it. That would be a great thing to post for everyone.